Recipe: Best Ever Chocolate Cake

It's rare that I share recipes here, mostly because I'm not very innovative in the kitchen, but sometimes I stumble on something that is so tasty that I just have to share. This chocolate cake is one of those things; moist, delicious and so easy to make, you'll never buy a boxed cake mix again.



Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
1 1/8 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup strong brewed coffee (cold)






Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brew your coffee and set it to cool.
 Grease and flour (I use cocoa powder instead of flour!) an 8 inch pan. 
Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. 

Add flour mixture, alternating with coffee. Beat until just incorporated.


Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Cool and top with the frosting of your choice. 
This time I used a quick and easy peanut butter frosting (butter, peanut butter, confectioners sugar and a dash of milk).






When I first made this cake, the addition of coffee concerned me, firstly because I'm not much of a coffee drinker, and secondly because I was looking for something to satisfy my chocolate craving. While the coffee doesn't impart its strong flavor, it does lend a richness to the chocolate that other chocolate cake recipes lack.

Time after time, and with little effort and basic ingredients, this cake comes out perfect. 
And, if I can bake it, anyone can!



Happy baking, and, as always,
Happy Sailing
x

Popular Posts