Your Wedding: How to Plan and Enjoy It

     Well, it's the sixth once again and time to check another month off the calendar- only five left to go until the wedding. In my last series of wedding posts, I took a look at wedding dresses of the rich and famous, the everyday woman and of my mother and grandmothers, while I was pondered a dress of my own.


     Since last month, we've made great strides in wedding planning and most of the necessary things have been booked and taken care of. Wedding planning is unlike anything else I've ever done. Sure I've attended plenty of weddings, but I've never help plan one or any event of a comparable size and scale- heck I never even had a graduation party!

      For some advice on planning, I consulted the obvious internet sources in search of guidance. Quickly I learned that what is conventional and recommended for the weddings of today, is not quite right for what we're planning. So, I sought out other sources and discovered Mrs. Marjorie Binford Woods' book Your Wedding How to Plan and Enjoy It.



Published in 1960, this book is surprisingly filled with charming, sensible and timeless advice relevant to almost any wedding. And, since we're planning a rather unusual and old fashioned wedding, why not take a little old fashioned advice?





Over the last month I've struggled with the idea of a big wedding. Before the proposal, I never really dreamed of my wedding day and just figured we'd go to the court house to make it legal. After the proposal and the engagement announcement, I realize how much this wedding means, not only to my beau and I, but to our families- how could we not include them in our wedding?

Turns out my thoughts and feelings are normal (who knew?!).
Here's what Mrs. Woods' has to say about it all in her introduction:




When discussing the wedding with family, friends and vendors we have engaged for the big day, many are surprised at the amount my beau is being included in the planning. Apparently, these days it is common practice for the groom to sit back and let the bride have her day. 
Concerning the groom, Mrs. Woods says:
And I couldn't agree more!


In consulting a fifty-three year old book for advice I was afraid that it would discourage the reader from any non-conformity, but I was glad to find that it did just the opposite:

Woods' message of graciousness and tact reminds me so much of what we're missing today, what we should strive for, and why I am so fond of the past.

The excerpts above are only from the introduction of Mrs. Woods' book, and she has plenty more fantastic advice which I am just itching to share with you!


Look for more from Mrs. Woods' as well as more details on our actual wedding plans coming very soon!


Until then, happy sailing!

Popular Posts