Puffer and Pompano

      It's been a while since I last posted. It's not that I've been busy, or doing anything exciting, I just haven't felt like sitting down in front of the computer lately. For once I've actually been enjoying doing housework, and doing it well, which takes up a good portion of my time when I'm not working (like everything else I do, I am inefficient at this as well). I've also been playing nurse to one of my cats whose body has decided she can no longer digest "normal" proteins and so must take a myriad of pills and eat a very special (ridiculously expensive) food made from venison and rabbit.

    Anyhow, the weather has taken a much appreciated turn towards fall and we found time on Sunday for some fishing. Cooler weather means hungry fish, and hungry fish mean a good time and full bellies for us.
   My second cast of the morning brought up a puffer fish who was deflated when I reeled him onto the pier but began to blow up as we attempted to get him off the hook. Very cool fish, and supposedly good eating, but seeing as this is the second one I've ever caught, we returned him to the sea.

My bait of choice for the day was new to me- terrifying creatures called bloodworms. These slimy carnivores (yes, carnivores) are like something straight out of a sci-fi flick, they have pincher like jaws, a poisonous bite and tufts of tiny hairs that protrude from their sides.  And, as their name suggests, they are also filled with copious amounts of blood which results in bloody hands, bloody clothes....bloody everything, as you bait the hook.

As freaky as they look, fish loved them.

It wasn't long before we started hauling in pretty little fish called pompano which have a reputation for being one of the best eating fish you can catch here in North Carolina.


Despite my novice appearance (people don't tend to take you seriously with a teal and pink rod and a straw cloche hat), I ended up as the victor of our fishing party, hauling in the most variety and the most fish in general. All in all we had a good day and went home with a cooler full of yellow fish (dinner) and a sunburn (will I ever learn?).




Next week brings visitors, once again, and then on into October, when I'll do a little traveling of my own! Can't wait!



Popular Posts