Nostalgic Earworm: The Teddy Bears' Picnic

This song was absolutely terrifying when I was 4.....it conjured images of checkered blankets, honey sandwiches and stuffed teddy bears that had come to life; I was constantly afraid my toy bears would one day march into the woods and leave me behind!

 These days I remember this song fondly- my mother had it on record (I feel old), and she played it on a cheap player in that tacky, sun-filled living room where I broke my collar bone.

Apparently the tune was created in 1907 but the lyrics weren't written until the 30s. 
The song has been recorded time and time again by greats such as Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby and more recently, Jerry Garcia. Unfortunately the internet is not overflowing with Teddy Bears' Picnic recordings so here's Henry Hall & His Orchestra from 1932.

Popular Posts