Finds from Home

As you may know from my last few posts, I spent some time at home in New York last week. Of course, no trip home would be complete without a visit to a few of my favorite antique stores and some new ones too. Needless to say, I returned to North Carolina with a car stuffed with goodies. 
My little Mercury Cougar,
stuffed to the whiskers with vintage goodness
 and lucky to have made the trip back south.

I've been in need of a dresser for a while now but couldn't seem find any pieces for a price that I liked here. Fortunately, there is a big red barn at home that is overflowing with treasures and owned by a man that is always willing to make a deal. Lascala's Barn, on route 39 in Sardinia, NY, is bursting with the remnants of estate sales. While it isn't pretty and it certainly isn't safe, Lascala's is worth it if you are willing to brave the elements and sort through large piles of furniture and lamps. Lucky for me, Lascala had a large selection of waterfall dressers, many of which were not buried under tons of other furniture, so I was able to find one that fit in my car and left my wallet only slightly lighter. 


Great dresser, in decent shape, for a fine price.
$45 got me this beauty and after a
 little furniture polish, she'll shine like the gem she is.


Lascala's dresser was so reasonably priced, I was able to pick up a few more things such as platters and serving trays which we really needed.

Giant milk glass fish platter.
Spotted one half this size for twice the price at another antique store.
Like most stuff from Lascala's,  in need of a good scrubbing but absolutely worth it.


Lovely cut glass platters






I also made a stop in Springville, New York, at a new shop on route 219. While the shop was quite pricey, I did find this:

So fun! It's a clever little wall hanging to help you save change for a vacation. Since my beau and I have been keeping a change jar, I figured this little bit of kitsch would be a fun way to save towards something meaningful. Come to find out my grandparents always had something like this! Not only is this a fun connection to my family but to Western New York as well. Made in Olean, N.Y., this fun little contraption came from the little city that stole my heart a few years ago.


I made one final stop on my tour of shops which yielded the biggest find of all! More on that tomorrow.



Popular Posts