Hair: Style Trial One

            I'm adding something new to the modest little hair section of my blog, hair style trials and reviews. I will attempt to follow an online tutorial for a style and post my results and opinions here. It's a great way for me to keep track of those styles that worked and those that failed miserably. Readers are encouraged to remember that I have little talent when it comes to hair (I can't even braid my own), so your results with these styles will vary and likely exceed mine (lucky you).

    In a small attempt to try and stay true to my look while staying cool, I thought I'd try and start with something simple, a hairdo that gets my long, thick locks off my neck and shoulders. A quick google of the phrase "vintage up do" brought me the video below along with many others that I intend to try. 



  When I first began to style my hair according to this tutorial I was a bit skeptical of whether or not it would actually work on my hair. While the gal in the video has beautiful hair and not to mention a stunning face, I'm going to guess that her hair is on the thin side, has few layers and is much shorter than mine. Despite my doubts I proceeded as per her instructions. After about a half an hour and no exaggeration, fifty or more bobby pins, I had myself a "vintage inspired up do".

As you can see, I was able to complete the style however, on me it turned out less like an up do and more like a faux short style, which I think is rather neat. Next time I will be sure to add height in the front as I find having my hair smoothed against my head rather unflattering. I will also try and add setting lotion to minimize frizz.



Pros: 
Sectioning hair off and putting into little "pony tails" makes the hairstyle very stable. 
So stable in fact that I was able to nap and garden in this style without it falling out. 
I'd even rate this style beach worthy. 
As an added bonus, after taking this do out it left my hair wavy, smooth and manageable, ready for another style! 

Cons: 
Long and layered hair complicates this style making it time and bobby pin consuming. 


It's a timeless style with a bit too much fuss for me, I'm rating it 3 out of 5 bobby pins. Give it a try for yourself and see what you think.

                                                    




Popular Posts