Jane, "Gentlemen" and Center Parting

Believe it or not, until the other night, I had never seen the classic 1953 film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". Perhaps I had been turned off by the fact that Miss Monroe stars in the film or maybe it was the title that kept me away. Don't get me wrong, I love Marilyn, but the characters she plays often rub me the wrong way, her character in this film is no exception. Anyhow, I found myself simply charmed by the film, by Jane Russell and her character. Jane's character, Dorothy Shaw, is a perfect foil to Monroe's Lorelei Lee, intelligent, cynical yet equally as beautiful and as flawed as Monroe's character.


Jane Russell in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

One of the most wonderful things about watching old movies is seeing the fabulous clothing and hairstyles glamorous actresses like Monroe and Russell wear. At the beginning of the movie I found the way Jane Russell's hair was styled, with a center part, rather unbecoming. However, by the end of the film I was convinced that it was a style I had to try.

My experiments in center parting


I have been strictly a side part gal for years now as I always thought it was a more sophisticated and flattering look for my face. After almost a week of center parting I'm still not entirely convinced that a center part is the part for me but I am certainly not afraid to wear it once in a while. Perhaps with time and practice I will figure out a good setting pattern for the style Russell sports in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

Jane Russell called attention to something I had never realized, many glamorous women wore center parts and looked fabulous! Even some of my hair idols such as Judy Garland, Rita Hayworth and Lana Turner parted down the center.

Popular Posts